Comments by Charles O. Anyiam-Osigwe.
- Immature love says: ‘I love you because I need you’. Mature loves says ‘I need you because l love you’. Eric Fromm
This makes sense.
- Let us always meet each other with smiles, for a smile is the beginning of love.
But Mother (now St Theresa) some smiles are insincere.
- Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye. Jackson Brown, Jr.
True, but in the cacophony of modern life, it takes great insight to notice what the heart is seeing.
- Love is friendship that has caught fire. It is quiet understanding, mutual confidence, sharing and forgiving. It is loyalty through good and bad times. It settles for less than perfection and makes allowances for human weakness. Ann Landers
Ann, your viewpoint is valid, but how come the quiet understanding, mutual confidence, etc. seem a tall order in most relationships?
- The sweetest of all sounds is that of the voice of the woman we love. Jean de la Bruyere
Haba Jean, I don’t know about this one o. Nagging lover and jealous lover sounds don’t sound so sweet.
- The best thing to hold onto in life is each other. Audrey Hepburn
True, if two hearts beat as one.
- Love is when the other person’s happiness is more important than your own. Jackson Brown, Jr.
Ideal, but how do you get a relationship to stay this way with all the challenges that come with love and loving?
- Friends can help each other. A true friend is someone who lets you have total freedom to be yourself – and especially to feel. Or not feel. Whatever you happen to be feeling at that moment is fine with them. That’s what real love amounts to – letting a person be what he really is. Jim Morrison
I don’t quite agree with this one. If a person is one who takes pleasure in abusing their partner, then what?
- Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. Oscar Wilde
They say love makes the world go round. We all need the garden to bloom.
- A kiss is lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous. Ingrid Bergman
Will try this sometime.
- Where there is love there is life. Mahatma Gandhi
I do agree with this completely.
- A flower cannot blossom without sunshine, and man cannot live without love. Max Muller
Without love, life seems meaningless.
- Love doesn’t make the world go ‘round’. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile. Franklin P. Jones
You can say this again.
- Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies. Aristotle
This is really food for thought.
- Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage. Lao Tzu
Another one to reflect upon to intuit its import.
- I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge. That myth is more potent than history. That dreams are more powerful than facts. That hope always triumphs over experience. That laughter is the only cure for grief. And I believe that love is stronger than death. Robert Fulghum
Wow! This is deep.
- We love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. Friedrich Nietzsche
I really agree with this statement.
- Love is a force more formidable than any other. It is invisible – it cannot be seen or measured, yet it is powerful enough to transform you in a moment, and offer you more joy than any material possession could. Barbara De Angelis
This is the power of love.
- The first duty of love is to listen. Paul Tillich
It is really important to lend a listening ear when people want someone to talk to.
We’re born alone, we live alone, and we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we’re not alone. Orson Welles
May we be blessed with true companionship.
- Love is when he gives you a piece of your soul, that you never knew was missing. Torquato Tasso
Love gives us a sense of completeness.
- There is no remedy for love but to love more. Henry David Thoreau
Photo Credit Marianne Olaleye.